Spending a day on the water can be great fun, but it can also become dangerous when an accident occurs. Each year sailboats, motorboats and personal watercraft are involved in accidents and some of the most common reasons include:
• Mistakes made by the operator of the vessel
• Inexperience of the person operating the craft
• Operating a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
• Poor maintenance or defects in the boat
• Severe weather conditions, such as high winds or heavy rain
• Large wakes caused by another vessel
When people operate a jet ski or boat in a negligent manner, they can legally be held accountable for their actions. Victims have the right to seek compensation for property damages, injuries requiring medical care or an accident that resulted in another person’s death.
Determining Who is at Fault
The State of Georgia follows the laws of comparative negligence. When a personal injury suit is filed, the judge or jury must determine who is at fault. If both the plaintiff and the defendant are found responsible for the accident, then the court must assign a percentage of blame to each party. There may be several parties found to be at fault in a boating accident. The manufacturer of the vessel or its parts may be to blame for defective products.
What Type of Damages Can Be Recovered?
Personal injury victims are entitled to seek damages for the following:
• Past, present and future costs of medical treatment
• Temporary or permanent disfigurement or impairment
• Loss of the ability to enjoy every day life because of constant pain
• Loss of consortium because the injuries interfered with the normal relationship of the husband and wife or parent and child
• Past, present and future lost wages
• Household services costs incurred while the plaintiff is recovering
In a wrongful death lawsuit, the plaintiff may be able to recover damages for the loss of companionship because the family’s loved one is no longer there.
Why You Should Hire a Georgia Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been the victim of a watercraft accident, contact the attorneys at Hertz-Law, P.C., www.hertz-law.com, for a free consultation. We will review your case to find out what type of compensation you may be entitled to receive. Injuries that may seem minor at the time can turn out to be serious later on. Contact today to find out how we can help.
“DISCLAIMER: The above article is provided for information purposes only and is not intended to be, nor should be considered legal advice. Legal advice can only be given by a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction following an individualized consultation. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact an attorney in your area.”